Hockey at the Scope

My fellow bloggers, it has come to my attention that I have not kept up with the regular posts as I should be. For this, I apologize. Now, on to the post.

Ah, hockey! For me, hockey was a thing of my childhood. About once a year, my dad would get family tickets through his company to see what were then known as the Hampton Roads Admirals. As a kid, I remember a lot of cheering, the music was loud and the food was great and the Admirals inevitably won. The thing I remember the most was whenever the goalie would catch the puck in his goalie glove, the song Can't Touch This would be playing on the loudspeaker and the screen would light up with an image of the goalie catching the puck in his glove in a stylistic fashion. Those were, and still are, fond memories. Fast forward about 10 to 15 years. Wednesday, I went with my CG to an Admirals game and in the span of 2.5 hours my childhood memories were replaced with a half full Scope arena, lackluster screen effects, and a losing Admirals team. On the plus side, the food is till good. Was it a bad experience? Not at all! I thoroughly enjoyed time around people I care about and even though the outcome of the game was disappointing, I enjoyed watching it. Plus, the tickets were relatively cheap. It's great when you realize that the circumstances in an event should not dictate how you react. That's what happened that night. Despite how I felt about the game, I had a great time socializing with my friends. Well, that's all for now. See ya next time.

Comments

  1. Nice. Love minor league hockey! Good truth too in that "circumstances in an event should not dictate how you react."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:19 PM

    One of my memories of attending hockey at the Scope came on March 18, 1995. When my father and I settled into our seats for what would be the last time we would attend an Admirals regular season game, little did we know that East Coast Hockey League history would be made that night. Late in the third period, with the Admirals up 4-2, Admirals goalie Corwin Saurdiff fired the puck from his crease, across the center red line, and into the empty Charlotte Checkers net. Saurdiff was the first goaltender in East Coast Hockey League history to score a goal. The Admirals won the game, and all the fans in attendance munched on free Rally's fries in the days after the game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts