Sunday, September 06, 2009

6th Grade

Sixth grade was one of the most significant years of my life. Not because of what happened that year, but because of what it taught me. To say I went through trouble would be putting it lightly. But through it all God taught me 2 things:

1. Love and pray for your enemies
2. Love the outsiders and the outcast.


These 2 things are something that are part of who I am. And had I not gone through what I went through, I may have not learned those 2 things. Also, had I not had people who were there to encourage me, I definitely would not have been who I am today.

For this reason and several others, I am excited that I will be leading the 6th grade guys' community group at WEC. I know that 6th grade can be a hard time for a lot of guys. It's a new environment and there are new people, but more than anything else, 6th grade is a time where either you are identified by the way God sees you, or you get identified by what other people see. This was the reality I lived in. It was my parents and other adults and friends who had to remind me that it's how God looks at us that matters. This is who I want to be for the guys I lead, a person they can count on. A person who invests in their lives and pours into them truth and encouragement and support.

This is also a way God can use me. Before I accepted the job of leading the 6th grade boys group, I had been praying and looking for an opportunity for God to stretch me and a way to further glorify Him through what I do. This is why I'm most excited, I get to show Christ to the guys I'll be leading. I pray I will be used by Him to change their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment