Beyond the wall of Small Talk

Have you ever sat back and realized that most, if not all conversations you have with friends are filled with meaningless fluff and have no impact on matters of the heart? This is an issue I've come across time and time again with my social network of friends. We talk about meaningless stuff that has no bearing on our lives. And as a curious person, I ask "Why?". So what do I want? I want an answer to "Why?".

Why is it that small talk has become the entirety of a conversation with friends you've known long enough to develop a meaningful friendship and yet have no more to talk about then funny gags, weather, television, movies, etc. While I'm not against small talk, I think there should come a point in a friendship where that's not all you want. At least that's my case. I've grown to hate small talk after a certain point in a conversation and wonder if that's all people want to talk about with their friends. So I have a question and a proposal. The question is for everyone, but the proposal is a personal commitment.

The question: Do you want more out of a conversation than just small talk?

The proposal: If the answer to the question was, "I want more". I propose seeking deeper conversations with your friend and ask probing questions. If they don't want to talk about it, that's cool, but the more I think about it, the more I realize I want more out of friendships than common everyday chat and catching up with the news, the cool trends, the pop culture, the funny gags and lines. How about being real? How about sharing hearts? I don't know about you, but I want conversations that explore emotions and passion. So I propose not a death to small talk, but an awakening to a new adventure of conversation. So ask the questions, see what happens.

Comments

Popular Posts