The gluttonous church

So, I was having an interesting conversation with my best friend Josh. And I said some things that amazed me. I didn't really no what was coming out of my mouth. I mean I did, but what I heard was a powerful truth that needed to be digested. I was basically venting about a lot of the problems I see in the church today that are being copied by campus ministries. And a picture struck me and so I told him this, "Remember in the Bible where Jesus said that 'The harvest is plenty, but the workers are few' ?" and then I said that the church today are like field workers who instead of using the food that is given them to harvest the crops, we have become gluttons of "church" and sit around being lazy and fat on church. I've seen it happen way too often. There is nothing wrong with wanting to experience more that God has to offer and there's nothing wrong with attending church functions, I do believe it is wrong to ignore the people of the world who need the hope that you can bring them. I believe the church needs all it needs to know about the gospel to share with other people. A long time pastor friend of mine said that the Church of America is more knowledgeable about the Word of God than the rest of the world and that we already know all we really need to know. It's putting it into action where the Church lacks. Oh how I long for the day when a large number of people will rise up and say, I'm tired of ignoring the people who really need me.
I'm tired of Christian organizations being organized like a business. I'm tired of money being a priority. I'm tired of money charts. I'm tired of making the numbers look good. I'm tired of people being nothing more than a way to expand revenue and make an organization look good. I'm tired of students who walk into a campus organization of being nothing more than a number. I'm tired of the lack of the Spirit having an influence in a campus organization. I'm tired of student's creativity and ideas for an organization be set aside by bureaucratic leadership. But most of all, I'm tired of the lack of love.
A man came to Jesus and asked him what the most important commandment was and Jesus answered Him, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and the second is like it: love your neighbor as yourself." In I John, it says that if you say you love God, but do not love your brother, you are a liar. God holds the love of Himself and the love of people equally. There's no separating the two. If you love God, you love people no matter who they are or what they've done. I mean, didn't He do the same for you? What really made me understand this concept is when I grasped the concept of God's unfailing love for me and realizing that despite the sins I've committed He calls me His child and perhaps more importantly, His friend.
So, people of God, may you rise up and love your neighbors. May you not be gluttonous. May you take a stand and say, "I'm not going to hold inside the truth any longer." May you answer the cries of a dying world in need.

God Bless you.

Comments

Popular Posts