Movie Review: Inception

About a year ago, I was sitting in the movie theater waiting for a movie to come on when a teaser trailer for a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio came on. There wasn't much shown, some cool special effects scenes and Leo giving a very contemplative look towards the camera. The first shot was "From Christopher Nolan". At this point I had seen every one of his movies except for Insomnia and Following. This got me intrigued. Then they showed the rest of the teaser trailer. From that point I was hooked. Nolan has never made a movie that I didn't like. There were some I liked more than others, but he's never made a movie where I walked out of the theater thinking, "Wow, that movie was bad." So, when I heard about this film, I knew it would be on my list to see the following year. The movie I'm talking about is of course, Inception, which is almost guaranteed to rake in box office millions this weekend. Having seen it last night, it will probably stay at the top for a while.


For those of you who are uninformed about the basic plot of the movie, here's a brief synopsis, without giving away anything. DiCaprio plays Dom Cobb, a man who has experience extracting information from a person's mind by entering his or her dream. However, a man from a very lucrative corporation asks him to do the unthinkable, plant an idea into his competitor's mind. For reasons, I will not disclose here, Cobb accepts and assembles a team to perform this task. That, in a nutshell, is what the movie centers around. However, Nolan does so much more with the film by introducing complex ideas and thoughts centered around the idea of the thin line between the waking world and the dream world. What would happen if we temporarily lived in the dream world? Would we want to come back? This is just one question that Nolan addresses.

I can't tell you much about the film for one simple reason: you have to see it for yourself. I could tell you about it, but it's a very experiential film. In a summer full of films with no weight, creativity, or intelligence behind them, Christopher Nolan has created a wholly original film that dares to be different. Where most movies this summer are asking you to check your brain at the door, Inception demands you put in overdrive.

David's rating: 4 stars out of 4.

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Your review makes me excited to go see this film.

    What did you think of the questions he raised about "the thin line between the waking world and the dream world?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:25 PM

    Hey david you're right Hey Inception was second with 15 mil and then twilight eclipse was 3rd with like 12mil

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts